Improving Search Engine Optimization on Adobe Business Catalyst
NEWS! Please come back in a week to get the revised version of this article. We've been working with Adobe Tech Support and they are about to release a new solution that will be unveiled in our revised article.
For those wishing to improve your SEO, here's a tested simple solution that works on any type of Adobe Business Catalyst page: web pages, catalogues, booking events, web apps, etc.
I've tested on several large BC sites on all types of pages and this solution correctly renders Canonical Links so Google will always know to index your site as www.yourdomain.com instead of as yourdomain.businesscatalyst.com or yourdomain.worldsecuresystems.com.
For info on how Canonical Links tell Google how to index your site correctly, see Google's Info and Video.
Just add the following to the end of your HEAD section atop your various Business Catalyst site templates:
How this works
When a user goes to http://somesite.businesscatalyst.com/somepage.htm when when the page loads, the script replaces the link rel="canonical" with link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yourdomain.com/somepage.htm". That command appearing in your HEAD tells Google to not index the page on the somesite.business.catalyst.com domain but rather only on the yourdomain.com. Neat!
You can move the script into your .js file if you have other code on your site loading from one file. Of course, you do need to leave the
<link rel="canonical" /> in the HEAD section of your template so the script can modify it.
Of course, for this script to work your site must have jQuery loaded. See Loading jQuery.
If you wish to inspect your pages to see how it's working, you need to inspect them with Firebug in Firefox or Developer Tools in IE because the link is modified in DOM; you won't see it inspecting the Page Source.
You can see this in action of some of my sites like http://www.murphys-atlanta-restaurant.com
Visit murphys.worldsecuresystems.com or murphys.businesscatalyst.com and using Firebug you'll see the
<link rel="canonical" /> in the head is telling search engines to index the site as http://www.murphys-atlanta-restaurant.com
To see an e-commerce store example, inspect kudzu.businesscatalyst.com and in Firebug you'll see the canonical lnk is http://www.kudzuantiques.com. Go to product pages and you'll see it works fine in the e-commerce layouts.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- How to Get Business Catalyst E-Commerce To Do The Impossible
- Automate Business Catalyst Form Filling with iMacros -- How to Import Discount Codes
- Require Minimum Order Amount or Product Quantities in an Adobe Business Catalyst Shopping Cart
- Automatically Format Images with jQuery - Add Margins, Borders, More
- Loading jQuery - Loading Latest jQuery - Test If jQuery Loaded
- Sneak Preview Video: Adobe Business Catalyst V3 Version 3 Lets a Web Developer Design Anything Using Liquid Markup
- Migrating A Site into Adobe Business Catalyst with Proper Google Redirects
- Use a Link to Submit A Web App Search Results Page in Adobe Business Catalyst
- Improving Search Engine Optimization on Adobe Business Catalyst
- Make Main Product Image Link to Poplets Thumbnail Slide Show in Adobe Business Catalyst
- Make Product Thumbnail Images Link To Product Detail Pages in Adobe Business Catalyst with jQuery
- Adobe Business Catalyst (12)
- Business Catalyst (5)
- CSS (1)
- Discount Codes (1)
- E-commerce (3)
- Galleria (1)
- Import Site (1)
- JQuery (9)
- Liquid Markup (1)
- Photo Gallery (1)
- Plug-Ins (1)
- Poplets (1)
- Product Image (1)
- Search Engine Optimization (2)
- SEO (2)
- Shipping (1)
- Shopping Cart (3)
- Slide Show (2)
- Thumbnails (2)
- V3 (1)
- Version 3 (1)
- Web Apps (1)